Development Director Job Description
Flanders Nature Center & Land Trust, a thriving non-profit corporation headquartered in beautiful, rural Woodbury, CT, is looking to hire a talented Development Director and fulfill its mission to provide opportunities to appreciate nature’s wonders and preserve land, inspiring lifelong learning about our natural world.
ABOUT FLANDERS NATURE CENTER & LAND TRUST
Flanders was founded 60 years ago by Natalie Van Vleck, an artist and accomplished farmer, who had the vision to create a nature center on her 200-acre property. Flanders, now an accredited land trust, currently consists of 7 nature sanctuaries with hiking trails, historic buildings and a working farm, and stewards over 2,4000 acres of preserved land in western CT. Flanders runs an active, well-regarded summer day camp serving 650 children annually, which focuses primarily on farm, art and nature activities. Flanders also organizes educational programs for all ages throughout the year and works with regional school systems to help create and implement curricula meeting Next Generation Science Standards. Flanders also curates and exhibits the most extensive collection of Natalie Van Vleck’s artwork.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
Manage and coordinate development efforts for Flanders Nature Center & Land Trust, a regional land conservation and environmental education organization. Creates a development culture within the organization for long-term donor cultivation and solicitation. Reports to the Executive Director and works with the volunteer Development and Grants Committees. Part time: 25 hours per week. Salary: Up to $25/hr.
Research and develop lists of possible annual giving donors, major and legacy donors, corporate sponsors from donor software (etapestry} and other sources
Current and past Board and Committee members, camp parents, past donors, program and event attendees, corporations, businesses and individuals in Woodbury and surrounding towns interested in the environment and nature education.
Annual Appeals and Solicitations
- Manage Give Local (social media, May), Year End appeal (November-December), and maintain annual Membership renewals.
- Develop strategies for annual giving by potential donors identified under research including matching gifts etc.
- Reach out to selected potential donors through letters. Telephone calls and visits to establish or increase giving to Flanders with assistance from volunteer committee members.
- Assist Volunteer Coordinator in soliciting new memberships from program participants and volunteers.
- Write appeal and thank you letters and other solicitation materials
- Solicit Sponsors
- Help with planning and administration of annual auctions
Develop Major Giving Programs: Current & Legacy
- On an annual basis with Executive Director develop list of projects, funds etc. that require donations and provide donors with options meeting their interests
- With assistance from marketing staff, create Legacy Society/Major Donor materials for both monetary and land donations
- Personally solicit or provide information to Executive Director and volunteers to solicit 5-8 major donors annually for monetary donations (either current or legacy) and 1-3 donors of priority properties
- Meet with or assist volunteers to meet with estate attorneys to provide information on monetary and land donations by their clients
- Hold thank you receptions or programs for major and prospective donors.
- Implement recognition policy
Analyze all development activities on an annual basis
- Gather data on all development activities and compare with current goals and data from past years
- Plan annual development activities by month with specific goals based on analysis and experiences
REQUIRED SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
- Past experience in development or sales
- Excellent communication skills in both writing and speaking
- Ability to work independently and efficiently, and meet deadlines
- Ability to work well with others: donors, volunteers, staff
- Knowledge of and experience in utilizing data base software
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple projects
- Must have basic computer skills and Google product experience
Executive Director or their designee
Work with an experienced, passionate, skilled and committed staff. Enjoy coming to work every day in an inspiring setting.